Leandra Medine’s style is exuberant, colorful and like her blog, Man Repeller, defies standard (read: man-set) definitions of beauty. Her style is an authentic expression of who she is inside–it exudes joy and even when she’s wearing something that might look kitschy on someone else, what we notice first is the fun she’s having and that she’s being herself. The humor blogger may not take herself too seriously but big name brands and publications do, and she’s in high demand by both. In a piece she wrote for InStyle magazine earlier this year, Leandra had this to say about dressing for yourself:
Instead of thinking, “How can I stand out?” ask yourself, “What would make me happiest? What do I need to do to get there?” And then do that. Check in with yourself. Make sure you’re being true to who you really are. If you’re passionate about waist belts, run with it!
And run with it she does. Whether she’s wearing a flouncy skirt, high-waisted pants (when no one else is wearing them), or colorful boots, she adds her own twist. And what says icon more than the ability to make the uncool cool–as she did by pairing socks with sandals, back in the day. Now everyone is doing it.
Be Inspired by Leandra Medine’s Style
We never want to “copy” do we, but to be inspired? Yessss! Here are some style cues you can from Leandra:
- If the words you would use to describe your personality also describe your style, your style will not just be authentic, it will be memorable and one-of-a-kind.
- Put your own twist on things. Leandra doesn’t just wear clothes, she wears them in an off-kilter way that shows her creativity, humor, and love of putting looks together.
- Know your silhouettes; she wears a lot of culottes and pants that fall at the ankle. Figure out your best silhouette–be it maxis or slim pencil pants–and repeat often.
- Know the designers that look best on you. Leandra wears a lot of Tibi and Prada, for example; both have a creative and ethereal sense to them. Find a boutique or vintage shop that carry great items that suit you and frequent them. Skip the mall.
- Know your colors–Leandra likes colorful clothes and color blocking, and have more than an affinity for the color red. Which colors look best on you? Repeat your favorite color not just in your clothing, get shoes, sunglasses, and accessories to match.
- Get comfortable. Leandra often wears heels but looks just as cool and comfortable in flats and in her clothes. No matter how sharp and dressed up you go, score points when your wardrobe has a relaxed attitude.
- Dress for yourself, not for men or even for other women.
To me, there’s nothing cooler than a woman who is warm, funny, smart and comfortable with herself. To be all that and have fabulous personal style too? Impressive! I’ve taken quite a few style notes from Leandra over the years, but my favorite is that you can use getting dressed as opportunities to bring out your personality!
If anyone knows which consignment shop (in NYC) she works with, let me know.
Christine is a lifestyle coach living in Los Angeles. She believes the way we live predicts our future health and motivation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about working with Christine.