Watch what happened when one less-than-confident guy enlists the help of a Stylist and got Confidence Coaching for a week!
A wardrobe makeover, a kick-ass photo shoot, and a series of real-life challenges — including chatting up strangers — went down.
DIY Confidence Coaching:
If you’re working on your confidence, take some notes:
- The right wardrobe can definitely up your swagger.
- Finding out that other people recognize your great qualities, can shift your perspective.
- Finding common ground is one of the best ways to connect with new people.
- Used in the right way, not giving a fuck can lower anxieties.
While you may not have a Gianni to personally coach you, you can modify everything you learned in the video to create your own DIY coaching program:
- If, for example, you like the idea of talking to strangers to work on your self-consciousness but don’t want to do it on the streets, you can try improv classes, or…
- Give yourself a challenge of talking to every store clerk you interact with (pause all online shopping to give yourself more opportunities to go to stores).
- Poll your co-workers and friends when you take them out to lunch or use a holiday or event as an excuse to host a party.
- Take a class where your classmates are the types of people you might want to be friends with IRL.
- You can go to a store like Macy’s for a free makeover. Take selfies of yourself in all the outfits you like, and if you can only afford one, you’ll have the photos to help guide future purchases.
- And instead of a week, you may give yourself a month to carry out a set of assignments.
Keep learning and applying confidence skills
Once you’re done with this assignment, continue your education. Another good resource is Jen Sincero’s book, You’re a Badass which has stories, sage advice, and easy exercises to help you identify and change the beliefs and behaviors that stop you from putting yourself out there. Read more books like these, watch Talks and apply every little advice and exercises that you can. In no time, the ideas you’re absorbing and the actions you’re taking will begin to shift your self-perception.
As the saying goes…
Confidence is something you create in yourself by believing in who you are.
Approach your DIY confidence coaching as an exercise in building authentic confidence. It’s not about learning to pretend to be confident. It’s about learning to be yourself and put yourself out there more. What you’re learning are the fundamentals and basics like body language and people skills. What you do in social situations, will be to use what you learn while still being yourself.
Confidence isn’t copying but “modeling” a behavior that your gut thinks will work for you. Another thing to keep in mind is Resistance. If you feel yourself resisting, keep in mind that resistance is usually an indication that what you’re resisting is exactly what you should be working on.
Keep going, keep working on this and any skill you wish to develop. Whatever we work on improves.
Christine is a lifestyle coach living in Los Angeles. She believes the way we live predicts our future health and motivation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about working with Christine.