IMO, the most stylish homes tell you something important about the people who live there. And by stylish, I mean they have personality. Personality is …
VURB OF THE DAY: Turn your home into a spa-inspired retreat. Home is where we retreat from the world and a retreat is what it can …
We’re smack in the middle of Vurb’s Home Detox Challenge where we’re using Marie Kondo’s Magic of Tidying Up as our guide to organize our wardrobes, closets, and rooms. …
/Vurb: Clear your head by removing the clutter.
Join us over the next 3 weeks in a HOME DETOX challenge
We’ll be tossing what doesn’t spark joy!!!
Marie Kondo’s new book ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up‘ is an international smash on a scale like we’ve never seen before from a home organization book.
This inspirational guidebook shares a method for organizing and decluttering our homes so that maybe, we never have to do a major tidying up, ever again.
Kondo’s main message is that we should get rid of everything unnecessary that doesn’t bring us joy, even telling us to throw the book away once we are finished!
Because insights without actions are pointless, we’re not just doing this privately, we’re hosting it on Facebook to keep you and us accountable.
Are you in?
WEEK OF APRIL 20
- Like the image on our Facebook page to let us know you’re in!
- Pick ONE relatively easy category of items to organize over the next 3 weeks; clothes, books, household items…
- Assess how much time you’ll need for the entire decluttering project. Next, make like a Project Manager and schedule “Home Detoxing” times on your calendar for the next 3 weeks. Schedule only on days/times you can dedicate to the process–evenings, weekend mornings, etc. And BTW, this process is important enough that if you can swing it, take a couple days off for it.
- Read the book or refer to this summary:
TAKE ACTION: LET THE PURGING BEGIN!!!
WEEK OF APRIL 27
- Work by category and say goodbye to stuff that no longer gives you joy.
- Check out Home Office organizers on Pinterest, and look online for inspirations to design more functional and beautiful closets and storage.
WEEK OF MAY 4
Hopefully, you’re approaching this as a joyful project and cheerfully conversing with your stuff. It might sound hooky if you haven’t read the book but the ‘joy factor’ is important in creating intrinsic motivation to declutter once and for all. Try Marie’s suggestion: Touch, thank and ceremonially send your purges to better homes where they can find more appreciative owners.
MAINTAIN: Plan how you’ll keep the clutter out
This is a process that changes lives! You are breaking a habit, not just tidying up.
“Unbelievable as it may sound, you only have to experience a state of order once to be able to maintain it.” —Marie Kondo, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying
You are tidying up so that you never have a major cleanup like this again. If you fully commit and keep the clutter out, you will feel more confident, energetic and motivated, and can even become more successful.
Let the “Does It Spark Joy” question be your guide to maintaining a type of minimalist order and beauty in your space.
Ikea may have been the first (or at least one of the first) to realize there’s a huge market for functional affordable small space furniture but …