When I go to Sprouts and Trader Joe’s (my local supermarkets), I like to stock up on healthy snack foods. If I have healthy snacks in my kitchen, I won’t eat “whatever” is convenient when I don’t want to cook—which is never. Some of my snack staples are Sahale Snacks Pomegranate Pistachios, kale chips, beets chips, baby carrots, avocados, and Nori sheets to make homemade sushi. And I always, always pick up apples. For years, apples have been my go-to snack and my go-to meal replacement, if you must know. If they’re on sale, I’ll get (and eat) extra. Little did I realize that apples, widely considered to be one of the healthiest foods ever, were the cause of months of bloating and gas, I was trying to beat. Confused as to why, despite eating so clean and gluten-free, I was having so many digestive problems, I went online to look up my symptoms. Eventually, I stumbled on the Low-Fodmap Diet and learned that eating apples can be terrible for people with IBS, Crohn’s, ulcers, or other chronic digestive illnesses and conditions.
I would never have guessed apples could have been causing the bloat and distention I had been trying to beat. After cutting out all dairy, wine (very hard for me), meat, and sugar for two weeks, and still, my stomach was bloated, I was stumped. So I consulted Dr. Google. I eventually found articles about FODMAPs, which led me to the apple information. I stopped eating them and after just 3 days off apples, I began to feel better. Ahhh.
So what the heck are FODMAPs?
FODMAPs is short for fermentable oligo-, di-, monosaccharides, and polyols. These are a collection of short-chain carbohydrates found in foods that cause liquid and gas in the small and large intestines. The main food groups of FODMAPs are:
- Oligosaccharides: Wheat, rye, legumes and various fruits and vegetables, such as garlic and onions.
- Disaccharides: Milk, yogurt and soft cheese. Lactose is the main carb.
- Monosaccharides: Various fruit including figs and mangoes, and sweeteners such as honey and agave nectar. Fructose is the main carb.
- Polyols: Certain fruits and vegetables including blackberries and lychee, as well as some low-calorie sweeteners like those in sugar-free gum.
The FODMAP diet
They’ve done over 30 studies and found that IBS suffers do better on a low-FODMAP diet. When you go on a “low-FODMAP” diet you eliminate the most irritating foods then add certain foods back gradually.
It’s highly recommended that you work with a nutritionist or another pro to help you personalize your diet. In my case, for example, I learned that even some safe foods like oranges can be problematic for some stomachs.
Low-FODMAP food list
According to HealthLine, these foods are usually safe for most people to eat.
- Protein: Beef, chicken, eggs, fish, lamb, pork, prawns and tofu
- Whole grains: Brown rice, buckwheat, maize, millet, oats, and quinoa
- Fruit: Bananas, blueberries, kiwi, limes, mandarins, oranges, papaya, pineapple, rhubarb, and strawberries
- Vegetables: Bean sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, choy sum, eggplant, kale, tomatoes, spinach, and zucchini
- Nuts: Almonds (no more than 10 per sitting), macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, and walnuts
- Seeds: Linseeds, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower
- Dairy: Cheddar cheese, lactose-free milk, and Parmesan cheese
- Oils: Coconut oil and olive oil
- Beverages: Black tea, coffee, green tea, peppermint tea, water, and white tea
- Condiments: Basil, chili, ginger, mustard, pepper, salt, white rice vinegar, and wasabi powder
I’m still learning about FODMAPs myself so this is not expert advice. What I can tell you though is that cutting out apples did finally bring me relief. I’ve also done elimination diets to manage my IBS and know they 100% work. Something else I think will help anyone looking to manage IBS is to learn about food combining. It’s an important part of the solution.
Low FODMAP Diet Apps (for Android)
Christine is a lifestyle coach living in Los Angeles. She believes the way we live predicts our future health and motivation. Email email@example.com to find out about working with Christine.